Thursday, May 31, 2012

How I'm gonna spend my weekend

The first week of school holidays is coming close to an end. And what have I accomplished so far?
Practically nothing! Except I studied ahead one chapter of History, and half a chapter of Biology and Physics, both of which are negligible.

So does that mean I'll be spending my weekend studying more to put myself ahead of the game when school reopens?
Absolutely not!

In my post a few days ago, I mentioned that I was going to an Orang Asli village for a camp. We leave tomorrow morning, and return on Friday

The trip, organised by the Methodist Youth Fellowship (MYF) at my church, is actually the MYF camp for 2012. Most years, we go to cool highlands or sunny seasides where we listen to Christian messages and enjoy ourselves as well. But this year, we're going to a village instead.
Example of a typical Malaysian Orang Asli village.
I think the English word for Orang Asli is "Natives"? Basically, they're populations of people living in the woody mountainy areas of Malaysia, and live a very simple lifestyle, without worrying about electricity and cars and televisions.

This is a big change from our usual relaxed annual camps, but most of us, including me, are looking forward to it. We shall learn to live like the Natives live! We shall throw off our iPhones and video games, and be off to the roots of the land, amidst the wildlife and the trees! We shall bathe in the rivers clad in old clothes and towels, and eat wild boars and lizards! As long as they're not endangered, of course. These days even natives have to watch what they kill.

Activities will mostly include sharing messages with the native churches, helping out with children's ministry, and, on the last day, painting one of the new churches! Other than that, I don't really know what to expect out of it, this being the first time a camp was held at an Orang Asli village.

Tonight has been a flurry of preparations, and I'm a bit nervous about tomorrow, because being of of the oldest remaining members of the MYF, I've been elected as the Camp Commandant. I've always been vaguely aware of the existence of a Camp Commandant during previous MYF camps, but I've never found out what it is they actually do, and whatever it is, I'm going to have to do it.

That's about all I can think of to say right now. I shall return with pictures and stories aplenty, all courtesy of my ever-trusty, not-so-new-but-still-shiny handphone! But for now, I must retire, so as to awaken in the morning afresh! Tallyho, and adventure awaits!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment