Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Unrealistic Logic Epilogue

Read yesterday's post first, or I can guarantee you will not undestand today's post.

"Off with her head!" the Queen shouted at the top of her voice. Nobody moved.

"Who cares for you?" said Alice, (she had grown to her full size by this time.) "You're nothing but a pack of cards!"

At this the whole pack rose up into the air, and came flying down upon her: she gave a little scream, half of fright and half of anger, and tried to beat them off, and found herself lying on the bank, with her head in the lap of her sister, who was gently brushing away some dead leaves that had fluttered down from the trees upon her face.

"Wake up, Alice dear!" said her sister; "Why, what a long sleep you've had!"

"Oh, I've had such a curious dream!" said Alice, and she told her sister, as well as she could remember them, all these strange Adventures of hers...
Alice in Wonderland, Lewis Carroll

I received a wake up call today. It turns out that after yesterdays ordeal, once I had left the class after delivering a quote which I will never become famous for, the argument had continued until somehow, in some way, one of the students was finally able to get his message across to teacher, and she then realised what everyone had been shouting about all along.

In actuality, it turns out that, yes, teacher had in fact made the mistake. It was just as they said it should have been - Abu and Ali just got mixed up. Teacher initially thought that our argument was about something else. Something to do with the structure of the question. But once the whole class stood up and started arguing with her, full of so much arrogance, well, who wouldn't become more than slightly haughty? Once she was upset, it was that much harder to make her see sense. Thus the predicament described in the last post. The dialogue has now been fixed to:

Abu: Where are you going?
Ali: I'm just going for a walk. Why do you ask? Do you want to follow?
Abu: No, I was just asking out of curiosity.


Meaning that I was on exactly the wrong track all along.

Teacher wasn't trying to test our understanding, she had just made a careless mistake. Abu and Ali weren't mad, although I probably am. Everything has been fixed and the logic is just as it should be.

So much for my statement. Fortunately, no one really took me seriously, so everything settled down and no one will think of it again. Unfortunately, my compulsion to recount everything that happens into my blog means there will be a permanent addendum of this episode of my life written in pixel. Well, we live and learn - for instance, I've learned that teachers aren't ever that unconventional anyway, and that I should never blog about an issue until its been resolved. Or at least until everyone's forgotten about it anyway.

Plus, my blog readers got two choice snippets from Alice in Wonderland, so everyone's happy.
  

2 comments:

  1. oh well,so much for thinking your teacher was being wise and clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... I now intend to forget about this incident entirely.

      Delete